Storage Location

Dec 21, 2007 at 3:02 PM
Hi,

I would like to know, how the images will be stored physically in the server.
Will the images stored "album-folder wise" or the images are stored in one common area where the image files are tagged to identify the album.

Regards,
Kannan
Binary Bits
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2007 at 9:05 PM
You will have option to store the files on the local file system or in an SQL database. First now, the local file system provider puts all the files into a common directory "apps_data\files". Photos are assigned to albums during the import process. You will have to select the album to import the photos into. I said "assigned" instead of "tagged" since photos can also have tags, just like Blog posts, but "tags" are not used to organized photos into albums.

We will be developing a hybird import process which would simply index existing files and, optionally, use the directory name as the album title, instead copying files into the common "apps_data\files" directory. This would make it much easier to publish photos which are already organized via directories. The only two caveats with this process is that the directories containing the photos must then be accessible by ASP.NET process, and you will need direct access to the server to stage the files.
Dec 22, 2007 at 2:48 AM
I have a doubt here, generally in medium trust, a new folder can be created and modified by the ASPNET Process right ?
If that is the case then there should not be any problem.

Also if something goes wrong while deleting an album and the actual image file stays without getting deleted, then to delete that file, we have have to search a single file in a haystack of mutlitple files if the files are going to be in a common folder.

Thats the reason why I am asking if it is possible to have images under differnt album folders.
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2007 at 8:07 PM
We have not implemented the ability to delete an album yet (but very soon), Once implemented it will delete all the associated photos. if something goes wrong, the album entry will remain so you can try again (after fixing presumably a permission problem) and the album marked as not published.

We are planning on allowing the same photo in multiple albums. The storage engine will implement single-instance storage so when it sees the same photo file again, it will only keep one copy. The code and database already keeps the file hash and size to detected duplicates. It will also be smart not to delete the file until all references to it are gone.
Jan 22, 2008 at 2:30 PM
Edited Jan 22, 2008 at 2:31 PM
Hi, any updates on the directory wise photo storage option ?